Community Forum

Have a question, or want to share your own tips and experiences? Join the discussion in the community forum. You must be registered to participate. Our forums are moderated by Crohn's & Colitis Foundation staff to facilitate a safe environment.

Moving from UK to America - What's the best Health Care?

Tue, May 05, 2020 11:57 PM


I'm Callum and I'm 17 years old. I currently live in the UK, and looking to move to california and study there. I would be doing two years of community college, and then two years and university to get a bachelor's degree. I currently have inflixmab every 6 weeks, and is covered by the NHS here in the UK. What's the best/cheapest option to cover this when moving to the states, and if I choose to stay after college, what would happen then?
Kind regards,

FPO CallumTW
Joined May 5, 2020

Wed, March 31, 2021 11:06 PM

Reply posted for CallumTW.

I think, UK is the best for you because here you will enjoy good health related facilities and spend a good life. So, I will recommend UK for you. Dissertation writing services.

FPO oscarwilde722
Joined Mar 31, 2021

Mon, March 29, 2021 2:07 AM

Reply posted for CallumTW.

Every student should have basic knowledge about health care and also about first aid kit. These basic skills prove helpful in emergency conditions. Using editing services for college work is my first choice because it is affordable and helpful for solving all my queries.

FPO Kayden92
Joined Mar 29, 2021

Thu, October 29, 2020 8:51 AM

Reply posted for CallumTW.

Hi, Callum. Hope you are doing fine.

I'm Amanda and I'm from Brazil and I'm having the same issues, but I will have a J1 visa, kinda different, but anyway we would be legally in the country, I take my inflix every 8 weeks but I'm not seeing any way to have abroad in the U.S. Could you find a solution for your case? if so, could you share with me? thanks a lot!

FPO amandac
Joined Oct 29, 2020

Fri, July 10, 2020 9:51 AM

Reply posted for CallumTW.

Probably depends what visa you will be on, as well
as the college. I would start by at least talking to the college about health insurance as they may have requirements or options you can enroll in through them. It won't be cheap, but at least in the last few years plans in the US can't refuse to enroll you or charge you more based on pre-existing conditions (assuming your visa status etc makes you eligible).

This article has some information, though community colleges are less likely to be geared for international students (I've also seen student visas rejected for community colleges). If you are a citizen that won't be a problem.

I would encourage you to research any plans in full, and try to learn and understand terms like deductible, co-insurance, in-network or out-of-network (you want to be able to go to doctors that are in-network, or there will often be surprise costs), prescription drug coverage, co-payments for specialty visits. It kinda sucks to have to learn the nuances of an incredibly complex health system at 17, but in your situation I think it is important to to be able to live your dreams! Good luck!


FPO stephencapper
Joined Jun 28, 2020

Thu, June 25, 2020 6:17 PM

Reply posted for CallumTW.

I think you're out of luck.  I doubt if community colleges offers insurance. I think you would be looking at around $4000 per dose.

FPO charbs
Joined Oct 31, 2016

Related Topics

Obtaining Remicade for ye...
Author Image Cpr
Joined Aug 11, 2020

My daughter will be studying abroad for the year a....

read more

Full time traveling in th...
Author Image deblev
Joined Sep 4, 2020

Hello Folks, I am brand new to this forum. ....

read more

Author Image KParmar
Joined Nov 17, 2020

I am based in the UK currently taking imraldi....

read more